Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Featured Pharmacy Techician: Meet Crystal Zamudio!

How long have you worked as a pharmacy technician?

I have been a pharmacy technician for almost 3 years.

Are you certified? Do you belong to any pharmacy technician organizations?

Yes I am certified in the state of Illinois. No not yet. I might start my own organization soooon.

Why did you decide to become certified? Would you recommend certification to other pharmacy technicians?

I felt it was important for me to take that higher step to advance myself. I feel pharmacists and patients need to feel secure towards technicians correctly doing our job and show them we can do it and make our patients feel safe with their health on our hands. We need to be alert and careful when filling these medications to prevent medication errors. I do recommend to get certified because it makes you knowledgeable, provides a higher pay rate, helps you gain confidence towards your profession, and gives a step up to make a difference.

How did you study for the certification test? What materials, how long, etc?

I self-studied and found any tools through the internet that could possibly help me. I also studied my pharmacy tech books from my past pharmacy tech course. It took me 2 months to study.

Why did you decide to become a pharmacy technician?

I wanted to know and learn about medications, I was interested in knowing how these medications work in our body. How a small tablet can make a difference in our body. I am a warm person and I have a motherly spirit, and I just want to make others feel welcome and possibly get their health in the right track.

What is the best part of being a pharmacy technician? Would you recommend this profession to a friend?

I love filling medications into the vials, but at the same time it is important to be alert, because so many medications look similar and sound similar. I do not want to send someone's health down the drain. I certainly do not want them to have an adverse effect. Yes I would recommend this profession to a friend, but I would alert him or her to the fact that this profession is not easy. It comes with its ups and downs, and one should make the best out of it. Knowing that a patient left happy with their medications makes me happy.

How did you find your current position?

I do not have a position at the current time. I am concentrating on my children and my website. I used to work for Osco Pharmacy in Chicago, IL. I landed that position from my internship.

Why did you start your pharmacy technician blog? How did you start it, is it a lot of work, and where do you get the information?

I launched my website/blog in the beginning of 2010. I launched it because I know how it feels to be confused regarding what to study for the PTCB Exam, and I just want to help other techs and give them heads up towards what tools they need to help them prep. I also provide health information throughout my site to get some knowledge in our brains. I am sure this knowledge will help others advance and understand why certain medications treat these health issues. The site was lots of work, but it was well worth it, and I love doing it. I get my information from personal experience and from study notes. Everything that I learn and experience I put together voila, we have a learning tool that will surely benefit us in the present and in the future. (See Crystal's Website here)

What are your plans for the future in the pharmacy technician field?

My plans are to get back in the pharmacy field again and give it my all, expand my website, and help others in need.

What do you recommend for someone who wants to be more involved in the pharmacy technician community?

I recommend this person to be strong, alert, and patient. I recommend them to keep track of any pharmacy news such as recalled medications. They should also keep up with calculating dosages and medication brand and generics to prevent medication errors. Be strong, because it is not easy and there is a lot to learn, but if you are the type who likes helping people then you will do fine. Do not let the pharmacy industry get the best of you, you should get the best out of the pharmacy industry and enjoy it. Be patient with rude patients and understand their feelings, because you will definitely encounter rude patients and they will test your nerves. Remember that it is all about the patients and their rights.

What are you interested outside of pharmacy?

Well I like to take my children out and have some fun. My 5 year old enjoys book shopping. I take church (RCIA) classes, I tutor pharmacy techs all over the world and also study. I like to hang out with my friends and my daughter's dad. I like to go dancing and cook. Oh and I like to workout, keep myself in shape! I also help others eat healthy and show them a few workouts to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment