Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Featured Pharmacy Technician: Meet Mary Ratajczak!

Meet Mary Ratajczak!


Why did you decide to become a pharmacy technician?

I have worked most of my life in a 9 to 5 job. I have always had an interest in being a pharmacist but never pursued the career. So one day I got fed up with office politics and applied at my neighborhood pharmacy (Walgreens). There were no pharmacy technician openings but got my foot in the door. I loved working different hours, having days off in the middle of the week and mostly I loved my customers. Once I got some experience in retail, I jumped on the opportunity to become a technician as soon as I heard there was an opening in my store.

How did you find your current position?

I made sure the pharmacy staff knew who I was and that I was a team player and hard worker. I had no trouble transitioning into the pharmacy.

How long have you worked as a pharmacy technician?

I have been a technician for 5 years.

Are you certified?

I became certified after 4 months on the job and by the end of my first year, I was promoted to Senior Tech.

How did you study for the certification test? What materials, how long, etc?

My employer has an excellent certification prep course. The passing rate is 98%. Since I was over 40 when I started this position, I was not used to studying. There is a lot to learn, especially because the test covers all types of technician scenarios. You have to study for hospital, retail, administration, and even history and law.

Do you belong to any pharmacy technician organizations?

I do not belong to any organizations but I sign up for any group or information on the web, read any magazine I can get my hands on, take continuing education courses to keep up with the ever changing pharmaceutical world.

What is the best part of being a pharmacy technician?

The best part is my customers. I enjoy helping people, whether its finding a product on the shelf or researching it on the web. I am a problem solver which is an important part of the job. In retail pharmacy, its all about the customer. They may be sick or frustrated. They may get short with you. But if you learn to not take it personally, and concentrate on helping them, they appreciate it.

Would you recommend this profession to a friend?

Depends on the friend. Being a technician is a hard, but fulfilling profession. You must be able to multitask. One minute you are answering the phone and the next you are typing and filling a script. Not only do you deal with the public but you are in constant communication with doctors and their staffs, hospitals, insurance companies, customers, other pharmacies and each other. You’re responsible for inventory and supplies, scheduling and ordering and drug recalls, naming a few. You must know computers and be able to type. You must have compassion and patience. It’s a lot of work, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Retail pharmacy is challenging.

What are your plans for the future in the pharmacy technician field?

I hope to continue working as a pharmacy technician for many years to come. I believe that there will be more jobs with more responsibilities and I look forward to the learning more especially in the compounding and nuclear areas.

What are your interests outside of pharmacy?

I am a lover of logic puzzles, Sudoku, crosswords and any problem solving activities. I love to research and learn about almost everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment